Sunday, March 9, 2008

What's your style?

So I ask, what is your style? If you are anything like me, sometimes that is a hard question to answer. I truly do like several different decorating styles. I like some country, love cottage style, appreciate clean lines and not to much fuss, but I love layers, distressed furniture, architectural salvage, many fabrics and all things cozy. So what is MY STYLE? - someone told me once that she thought it was "sophisticated country". So today, that is what we are gonna call it ( but tomorrow, I'll be liking somethin' else). I think the most important thing in decorating your home though, is absolutely making it something YOU love and that fits your family and your lifestyle. For me, I want it to say "Welcome Home" when you come in the door, a place that has meaning and a place that is just "ours." You don't have to be drastic in putting your own stamp on things, maybe just somethin' subtle that makes it personal and just your own. Something special that no one else will have - unless they copy you and hey, imitation is the best form of flattery, right? I always gain inspiration from magazines and other people and that is what keeps things fresh and new for me.

I thought I'd show you a few pics from our bedroom that are nothing fancy, but just a style that I happen to like. I love black and to me it is very much a neutral - here I have paired it with another one of my favorite colors - spring green - and a touch of creamy white. The ceiling is painted the same color as the walls to not shorten the room and to help the molding stand out a lil' bit more.


I also picked up an old lil' desk that I spray painted, took some good ole' trusty sandpaper to it and added it in a tight corner.


Lastly, you will see two frames over the bed that I painted black, wallpapered inside with black and cream check and instead of placing a picture in the frame, I painted the insert black and monogrammed it. Just so happens, we have these frames available at the shop!! I can personalize it for you as well.


Like I always say, just do what makes YOU happy! Something that makes your spirit come alive and show in the things around you. Decorating doesn't have to cost a lot of money, it just takes a lil' time and some vision. Have fun Making Your Home Your Own! Cathy Cobblestone

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I really enjoy your blog and your store's website. You've got such neat things!

Cathy Cobblestone said...

Thanks Melissa for checking in - so glad you like it here. Check with us often 'cause I'm still learning the ropes. Soon we will accept paypal and have videos and slide shows for the shop and the greenhouse. Have a great day and thank you so much for your comment.

tamda said...

I enjoyed reading about your wonderful family. It is obvious that your inspiration and love of the outdoors is a gift from God. Your words resonate your heart. Best wishes and I will be checking in from time to time just to see what neat things you have going on.