Monday, October 12, 2009

Cuttings from the garden turned into..

...a couple of quick, fun, easy and nearly free projects. Today some sweet ladies from an area garden club stopped by for a visit and we had a great time. Had some cider and yummy desserts and we made a couple of things using everything from my yard. So I thought I'd share a few pics with you. Now, I know many of you have seen projects similar to these but this was my simple take on a wreath and pumpkin topper. So.... here we go.
First let me say - Welcome gardeners and those of you who even say your thumb is "black". No "green" thumbs required for these projects. If you have got some scissors - jus' look around you - there are plenty of things to cut on.
First project - Pumpkin topper. Now there are a couple of ways to do this one. If you need a fresh arrangement to use for a dinner or decoration - this is so easy and literally was done in about five minutes. Soak oasis in water and attach to top of a sturdy pumpkin using skewers - and place a little moss around it.
Next, gather some cuttings from your yard (or your neighbors-hehe) I used some nandina berries, some lemon thread cypress cuttings, a few pieces off my mums, a wild marigold that had popped up voluntarily, a small gourd, some grasses and a bit of raffia.
Start filling in your flowers and foliage and in jus' a jiffy - you will have a simple but beautiful table arrangement.

If you need something to last a lil' longer - hot glue Styrofoam to the top and use dried or artificial flowers. At the end of the season - remove from the pumpkin and keep the topper to be attached to new pumpkin next year.

Next - you'll need some scissors, a lil' hot glue, wire, some pretty ribbon if you'd like and a wreath or honeysuckle vine.

These are my dried limelight hydrangeas I spray painted orange. Spray paint - it is jus' a wonderful thing. A lil' Indian corn....

...even some dried sunflowers I spray painted - some red, some yellow.

I simply tucked in some tops of corn for some height, wired the sunflowers on...

...tucked in some hydrangea, added the corn and some ribbon and it's done. No fuss, just easy and CHEAP!!! Remember though, this wreath would need to go in an area protected from direct sunlight and rain.

So never look at dried up flowers the same again - simply get some spray paint - and bring them back to life!
Happy creating!
Cathy








22 comments:

Terry said...

What wonderful ideas! They are both just awesome. I may have to give it a try.
Thanks!
Terry

Anonymous said...

You are so talented...
I am so glad to see posts from you!
Thanks for all the fall inspiration...
Wishing you a week full of sweet and simple joy! ♥

Unknown said...

So pretty. I am going to have to give them a try.

Cynthia

Christina said...

Those look great, I might even be able to make one.

About Me... said...

Hi, Your blog is a visual feast...great with my morning coffee. Love all the autumn color. I'm a MJF farmgirl too. I added you to my own bloglist. Stop in for a visit.
Shery Jespersen

Debbie said...

Sounds like a wonderful day and what wonderful ideas. Very inspiring!

Debbie

CJ said...

Everything is lookin' real pretty over here, Cathy!!
Enjoy every glorious Autumn day :)
I have a new blog ~ "Live well, laugh often, love much!"
http://fromcathywithlove.blogspot.com/
Hugz,
Cathy :)

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

Very festive.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Cathy,
I love what you have created. I might just use your idea, for one of my center pieces I need for my Dad's 80th Birthday Party on Oct.24. I love all the fall decor and fall is my favorite time of year. We are having our first day of rain.
Enjoy your day,
Elizabeth

Ribbons -n- Rags said...

Cathy,

Those are gorgeous!!! What will you think of next??

Michelle
Ribbonsnrags.blogspot.com

Angie said...

Love the gorgeous arrangements! You are one smart lady!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Love both projects all cheap and easy... at least you make it look easy/:) Very beautiful arrangements!

Unknown said...

Very beautiful. Love those ideas.
Teresa

9405018--Pat said...

what a wonderful idea...thanks for sharing..Pat H

Diana Ferguson said...

Great ideas!! They are just so pretty.


Share a dessert with me over at my place. Tell a friend, too!

Stacey said...

Oh my goodness that's beautiful! You are good!

Nancy Yoakum said...

What a cute idea! I LOVE your pumpkin picture on your header, so simple, but so adorable and also the dough ornaments....I still remember your cute ones for Easter and feel the need to be artsy craftsy all of the sudden!

Smiles, Nancy

tincanlily said...

I love them all! My favorite is the wreath. Is it okay to have a favorite? Have a wonderful weekend!
denise

Kelli@SassySouthernMom said...

Some beautiful ideas! I love this time of year. Looking at these blogs gives me such inspiration!! Thanks for sharing!

I would LOVE to know how you did those pumpkins on your header. They are too cute!!

Kelli

The Whispering Creek House said...

i really love your blog well done!

Unknown said...

You have such beautiful ideas for fall. I wish I had your inspirational touch!

My Casa Bella said...

What a gorgeoous centerpiece!!
My Casa Bella