Friday, November 20, 2009

As our gardens begin to rest...

...sometimes it is hard to say farewell to the last blooms. Here in Kentucky, the blooms are pretty much spent but my hydrangeas still have something to share. I cut off the dried flowers...
...and spray painted some of them red. Sticking them in a box like this or hanging them from a clothes line makes them easier to paint and dry.


Then I tied some in bunches with a lil' curly willow, some checked ribbon and then you have a nice lil' arrangement to last throughout the winter months. And I saved several to stick in the Christmas tree. If you plan to decorate your Thanksgiving table - you might use them in their natural state or add a touch of brown and mustard (with that trusty spray paint) and tuck in around the pumpkins.
Whatever you decide to do this weekend - have fun creating something special!
Cathy

14 comments:

decorator to the stars said...

HEY GIRLIE, THAT'S MY IDEA LOL GREAT ONE ISN'T IT? GIO

Debbie said...

I love the hydrangeas. Wish I had some of them growing around here. Only thing that is still looking good is the holly bush outside my diningroom window.

Any hints on how one could preserve bittersweet??? Is it even possible?

Take care,
Debbie

Julie said...

Oooo I love the spray paint idea. I love my hydrangea bushes. They are hands down my favorite flower.
Still trying to have a bush of every color in my yard. The white just couldn't make it. The two red my daughter got me...( the sticks in the dirt in a pretty box) from the store ...didn't make it. So I still have just blue, deep pink and purple. Going to try again this spring to get the other colors. I love that we get a second round of flowers that just stay green as summer ends and fall approaches. Thanks for sharing. I love to visit.

jmac said...

Man, oh man...what a wonderful blog!! Just found you and am loving every single idea you have.
SO wished I'd seen this one about a week earlier. Had so many old blooms I could have dried. Great idea!! Gonna spend this rainy sat morning reading your blog!!

Michelle said...

Excellent idea. I love hydrangeas, but have never had much luck growing them.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Love your header and what a neat idea to spray paint them!
Rondell

Red Geranium Cottage said...

How cute!!! I love that idea.

Unknown said...

Hi Cathy! Thanks for stopping by.Have3 been budsy with craft sdhows for my Brown Gingham, New website and blog for the flower shop....Check it out on my blog list...Flower Press...and getting ready for Christmas. Love your hydrangeas. You have a Happy Thanksgiving too.

Angie said...

What a great idea! I just love hydrangeas!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Cathy,
What a great idea to spray paint the hydrangeas red, I love red! It really looks pretty!.
I wanted to wish you and your family a very blessed and happy thanksgiving!
Elizabeth

Heather said...

I would love to grow hydrangea bushes but it seems that have a anti-hydrangea gene! Those are so beautiful!

SarahJarnagin said...

Love this! I have a ton of dried hydrangeas on my bushes right now and I was thinking of spray painting them for a wreath... if I get to it!

Jean said...

Happy thanksgiving Cathy, Hope you and your family have a happy and blessed thanksgiving.
Love, Jean in Virginia

Terra said...

This is a very pretty presentation of hydrangeas, and I like your idea of spraying some of them red, then tying with a bow.