Monday, January 13, 2014

Our Guest Bedroom...My "Happy" Room...

Well, its winter...so everybody needs a room that lifts your spirits and makes you happy.  The room in our house that I think is cheerful and makes me smile is our guest bedroom.  I had never had the opportunity to have a guest bedroom before we built this house so I was excited about getting to have one.  See I have this wishy-washy thing going on with "my style".  I love so many different things that it is hard for me to commit to just one particular style so guess what - I'm not gonna commit.  I don't have to, do I?
 
So let's look around the "cottage-y" style bedroom.  As with every other room in our house - it is a work in progress - like... needs curtains, the bedside table needs a drawer, I need to hide the cord, etc....etc..
 
 
My Happy Room...
 
 
The left bedside table is a piece made for me by my dear late friend, Mr. Curry.  It was perfect for my quilts. A bench that I had at the old house and the print above - a gift from my sweet friend, Kim.  Behind the cabinet is an old screen door just propped up against the wall.  I'm gonna make a banner for it soon I think.
 
 
Treasured quilts from family.
 
 
On top of this piece is a red lamp from IKEA, a bunch of flowers tucked in a bucket and some pictures of all the boys - one is mine - the other three are my nephews.
 
 
I've told you all before that I love paint by number - especially when it has a barn in it!  $7.00 - SCORE!  A simple wooden chair I painted blue sits beneath it.
 
 
The bedding is just pieces from here and there - I don't really like "matchy-matchy" bedding - just layers.  The comforter at the bottom is from K-Mart.  Hanging above the bed is an old window with the metal letters reading "good night".
 
 
Since there is no closet in this room - I opted for this armoire.  It functions just fine for overnighters.
 
 
And the piece at the end of the bed is a Swedish blanket chest - or at least that is what they told me at the antique store.  I must confess... my knowledge of "antiques" is limited - so I pretty much believe whatever they tell me.  Oh my, that could get me in big trouble one of these days. 
 
Hopefully I'll find the perfect curtain fabric some day- still looking. Oh and yes, that rug at the foot of the bed was a clearance rug for $20.00 from IKEA.
 
 
And that's it - my happy room!
 
I want to say to those of you that comment - thank you.  I have tried and tried to find the "reply" button - but I believe my template does not offer that option.  Just know that I really do appreciate it - especially my faithfuls, like Nana Diana, Melanie, Stacey and Dori and so many more! 
 
Have a happy and blessed week!
 

23 comments:

Sandie said...

Definitely a Very Happy room! I love all those colors together! Your guests will always have a smile on their faces! Thanks for sharing your home with us.

Sandie said...

Definitely a Very Happy room. I love all of the colors that you used. Your guests will never leave! Thanks for sharing your beautiful home with us!

JoAnne said...

It's a very charming room, Cathy. I would be thrilled to stay in such a pretty and comfortable room. Great job!

Wyld Dream Farm said...

I have the same print that's above your bench. I love it!! I have mine in the living room. :)

Unknown said...

A happy room, and very very nice. Love the mixture of decoration, especially the colors.

Deb said...

What a delightful room. So inviting. I love your choice of colours. Deb

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Cathy - I just love your style. All of it. There are so many places in blogland and pinterest to gather ideas for decorating but my favorite place is YOURS!!! I'm struggling with my guest bedroom. I wanted a sort of rustic Shaker look (which I've done) but still having a difficult time getting it "just right". Thanks again for your inspiration!!! ~ Dori ~

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

What a wonderful room...anyone who stays here would surely beat the winter blues! Love it :)

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

A very happy room indeed...I love everything about it!! That armoire is a stunner!!

cynthia lee designs said...

What a pretty guest room...so comfy and cozy!!
~Cindy

AndeM1 said...

What a beautiful (and happy) room.....any guest would be so lucky to stay here!

cindy said...

Can I just say I've spent literally HOURS reading your blog this last week?! I've decided we're like decorating sistahs separated at birth. I'm trying to be more bold in the use of colors in my new house, and learning to mix those brights with my chippy antiquey stuff. It's hard in a new house not to make it look 'magazine-ish'....too perfect. I'm trying to age the house a bit, yet keep it infused with color and surprising color combos. I'm always partial to blues and beiges, but greens are sneaking in as well as hits of cherry red and lots of white. Your home is such an inspiration for me. I wish we lived closer.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy! I have to say again that your house is my all time favorite in blogland. I too love all styles and have just been decorating with whatever I want and not worrying about blogland trends! Your home is just a happy looking place...love the colors and cozy warmth. Keep those pics coming please! sincerely, jeannette

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Cathy,
Just beautiful and I love all the color, just my style too. A very happy room in deed.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Rachel said...

Its lovely, truly lovely.
I have been having thoughts of turning my sewing room into a guest bedroom. It won't be nearly this lovely, but I just decided after reading this, that I am going to make it happen.
Your colors are wonderful, and I was especially drawn to the beautiful quilts! So wonderful.

Melinda said...

If this room were at my house
I'd be a happy camper!
Love all the cheerful colors.

M : )

Nancy @ Wrapped In Love said...

Love ALL of your rooms!!!

Nancy

Unknown said...

Love this room! Would you happen to know the paint color used? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Love this room! Thanks for the inspiration. I have decided to re purpose and use older pieces with character after finding this room pinned. Would you be able to share the paint color used? Thanks

Kim said...

Very nice. I really like the colors, light green walls and the touch of red.
I always enjoy looking at your post, I like your style.

Cathy Cobblestone said...

Thank you all so much - glad you liked my guest bedroom! It is definitely a bright room - but it is very much a happy room. Jen, you had asked what color this room is - well, it is "Shagreen" from Sherman Williams. Hope this helps! Thanks again for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Thanks Cathy! Always difficult to pick from a little square sample.

Snugglebug Blessings said...

The room is beautiful. I love how you added the read comforter to the bed giving it a pop of color. Would love to know the color of paint you used on the walls. Thinking of buying a sofa with red/white gingham and trying to figure out the best color for the walls. Love that color. Beautiful room. God bless. Cathy